Monday 21 September 2009

Its A Marathon, Not A Sprint

Last weekend, I helped out as a Bike Marshall in the Nottingham Marathon - first time I've done this, but as I've said before, I want to use the bike to experience new things.

It was interesting - I had 2 stages to cover; the first at the 4-5 mile markers in the University Park basically keeping pathways clear of people who visit the Gardens and Lake there, and making sure the few vehicles allowed in are out of the way before the runners came through - when they did it took over an hour for them all to pass!

After the Sweeper Bus came through, I was off to the National Watersports Centre at Holme Pierrepont(near to West Bridgford just outside the city centre), a group of about 6 of us covering both sides of the artificial lake which is 2km long - mile markers 20 - 22. I got there about two and a quarter hours after the race started and the lead runners were already there!

The next couple of hours were spent ferrying numerous bottles of water from one end of the lake to the other - the 2 drinks stations were at the same end but approx 4 kms apart on the course. Checked the health of a few stationary runners... "You alright mate?" " Yeah.... fine... I'll....be...OK....I....think" was the usual conversation... carried 1 unfortunate soul as pillion to the nearest St John Ambulance station and saw other Marshalls doing the same, and even acted as a rock for a cramp victim as he attempted to stretch his knotted muscles.

The pain on some of the runners faces was disconcerting, as was the obvious pain in their tired bodies - why do they (the non-professionals that is) do it? I suppose 'Charity' is an easy answer, but I couldn't/wouldn't put my body through that amount of work for anything. Respect to those who finished and especially those who just tried...

No comments:

Post a Comment