Monday 28 September 2009

Cycle Road Racing

I just did a day as a Bike Marshall at a cycle road race (the Derby Mercury 2009 event)- what an interesting experience! 3 of us (Ray as Lead, myself and Andy) lead the race from the the Race HQ to the start point, then split as a junction required 'marking' - basically attempting to stop or at least slow traffic to protect the cyclists - and for a short while I was Lead Bike which meant warning oncoming traffic of the group of Race Control vehicles and cyclists coming their way.

The route was an 11-mile circuit near to Burton On Trent - six and a half laps brought the riders back to the Race Finish. At times I was required to mark junctions so eventually I ended up in the middle of the race as the pack split into several sections. After marking, I had to re-pass the vehicles and the riders to get back in the lead. As far as I know, there were no incidents with general traffic, everyone was more than willing to wait for the riders and accompanying vehicles to pass.

There were static Marshalls placed at busy roundabouts and T-junctions, it was fun seeing them scurry into place as I approached - they knew the riders would be close behind - they also did a great job in protecting the riders from traffic.

Added bonus - as Marshalls, we get free drinks and food from the organisers...


             

No comments:

Post a Comment