Wednesday 31 March 2010

Betty's Lost The Horn

When I bought Betty (my RF900, do keep up...) she had a nice pair of compressor-fed air horns, fixed behind the number-plate. But after having to replace the compressor 3 times in the last 4 years, I decided to look for something else...

I found a pair of electric air-horns, similar to the 'snail-shell' type, and went for them not least because they cost the princely sum of £4 off e-bay, but also because a few mates on www.rfownersclub.co.uk had already fitted them.

The fuel tank came off, and I fiddled, cursed, and forced them into place, bolted to the coil mounting points above the engine. Had to supply my own wiring, but that was reclaimed from the existing set-up - oh, and I changed the plugs while I was there too.

Result. They sound great, louder than the compressor type, and have a really deep noise. They certainly make sure that drivers are aware I'm actually already occupying the 2 metres of road they're trying to squeeze their 4x4 into...

No comments:

Post a Comment