Monday 8 March 2010

1st main ride of the year

After enduring some cold mornings and evenings commuting on the bike (though it  is staying lighter for longer - bonus!), I went out yesterday on an even colder morning (-2 degrees) to join a Trainee Observer selection course for the Notts Advanced Motorcyclists.

This consisted of me being grouped with 2 Senior Observers, and first of all I had to follow the lead rider for about 15 miles at a close enough distance to see what he was doing, and get into positions to see past him whilst remaining safe. The other guy was keeping an eye on me...

Then I had to lead the group back to base, demonstrating qualities I had learned on my Advanced course last year... all the time wishing I'd spent little more time revising.

Back at base, I was de-briefed on my ride, and a high point was being told that the other two had been watching my progress in lining up a vehicle for a pass on some twisty roads, and had actually done what they said I should be doing at the exact same time! I then had to demonstrate to my group the 'Advanced' way to tackle a  roundabout, using a wipe-clean chart and marker pen, and talk through the Advanced mantra -
"Information / Position / Speed / Gear / Acceleration" and how it would affect vehicles using the roundabout.

At the end, I was told I had passed this little induction, and would be commencing the training course in the near future - really looking forward to this!      

No comments:

Post a Comment