Sunday 9 August 2009

First Post

The first one - so how about a short list of firsts?

This year I did my first National Road Rally - just the 'daytime' bimble to see how I went on. Completed my route well within time, which proves 'it's a Rally, not a Race'. Wanted to carry on...

The NRR made me realise what I want out of motorcycling - a reason to go. When I first passed my test (a mere 4 years ago) I used to go everywhere on the bike - now I've started to think I want to do more long-distance journeys, and/or holidays on the bike. Seem to be getting a little tired of 'go somewhere for cuppa/chips/whatever, then go home - by whatever route. Think I need to get a plan together for a long trip away.

Started to read the forums on IBA - the Iron Butt Association, promoters of safe long-distance riding in short(-ish) times. Reading the exploits of their members, and a few books on road-trips, makes me want to be out on the road.

Also decided to try to get involved with motorcycle marshalling for cycle road races - this lead me on to my first thoughts about Advanced Training this year too - so I joined the Notts IAM, and started the Skills For Life course. Taught me a lot about what to do, and why to do it. A better rider? For the first time since I passed my test, I feel confident that I will ride within my ability. Not that I was unsure before, but it just seems different somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment